Saturday, March 10, 2007

Cake

I am making the cake for my son's first birthday. It's a 3-D ducky cake. I already did a run-through, with some pretty disastrous results. Well, the cake turned out fine, but my husband insisted that we try fondant instead of regular icing. I tried telling him that it wouldn't work. It's hard enough getting the fondant to look nice on a perfectly cylindrical or box-shaped cake. Let's just say that poor duck ended up looking like it belonged in ancient Egypt, lol!

I'm doing another run-through this weekend though--this time with buttercream icing (which is the suggested topping that the cake pan came with. I'm making a chocolate rum cake with green icing, a kinda tribute to St. Patty's Day. If it comes out nice, it's going to a party tomorrow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you ever watched one of those shows where people are decorating cakes like it's nothing? And their cakes always turn out so beautiful that it would be a shame to eat them. I don't know how they do it! But at least my cakes always turn out so ugly that no one feels bad cutting them up to eat a slice. ;)

Anonymous said...

Well written article.