Thursday, November 16, 2006

Let the Madness Begin

Every year, the day after Thanksgiving (aka Black Friday) sales get more and more hard-core. I always wonder how the retailers are going to top themselves. The year before last, they were opening at 6:00 am. Last year, they were opening at 5:00. Will they open even earlier this year? You bet your sweet biffy! However, this year it's not by hours but by a week. I just saw an ad on tv that proclaimed some department store was having a "Beat the Rush" sale this Friday and Saturday. I think they said they were opening at 7:00 am.

I, for one, love Thanksgiving. I find it sad, though, that this holiday is being ignored. When I was little, which wasn't that long ago, mind you, they used to have Thanksgiving cartoon specials. My favorite was the Garfield one. Where are today's Thanksgiving specials? Is Thanksgiving even recognized in today's media? We might get lucky this year, and they might show something Thanksgiving-esque, but it's a far cry from yesteryear.

I think I'm going to go and dig up my Garfield Celebrations DVD (it has the Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas specials all in one) and watch Grandma carve the turkey with a chainsaw. Ahhhhhhh, memories :-)

No comments: