Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Words

I'm pretty concise when it comes to writing. Actually, I'm pretty concise when it comes to communication in general. I try to get my point across with as few words as possible. Not that I hate words. To the contrary, I find joy in words. I simply like to find the perfect one. I like to think that a perfect word exists for everything--every thought, every experience, every action.

Sometimes that word is not in English. Every culture points out what it thinks is important through its development of words. Take, for instance, Hindi--the language of India. People who speak Hindi call their loved ones "Jaan," which, loosely translated, means "Life." How sweet is that? In France, they don't really say sunset. They say that the sun goes to sleep at the end of the day. Very poetic.

I bow down to all those wordsmiths out there who can write pages upon pages of pure poetic genius. I hope one day to be as fluid in my writing and everyday speech.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are so right, Suzanne. Sometimes other languages really capture a feeling better.